Straight hair can make an impressive impact on our personality. It is a kind of style that suits every occasion and works at every hair length. In fact, it is one of the most chosen hairstyles among many actresses around the globe. Additionally, it is not like fashion trends that come and go; instead, the trend of long, straight, smooth hair never goes out of style.
Want to get your hair straightened? Here is the ultimate guide to getting your hair straightened.
Hair Straightening Types
There are various ways in which the hair can be straightened. Based on the methods used, hair straightening can be broadly divided into three categories:
- Chemical Hair Straightening: Under this method, the chemical bonds that originate in keratin (a protein found in our hair) are broken down into smaller units which force the hair to take on a new straight shape. It is primarily performed with chemicals and the execution of this process is very delicate.
- Natural Hair Straightening: It is one of the most convenient types of hair straightening methods. It involves the use of simple ingredients like milk, honey, bananas, olive oils, eggs, rice flour, aloe vera, coconut milk, lemon juice, soyabean oil, etc on the hair with gentle massage. Also, these ingredients are easily available and thus it is cost-efficient in comparison to the chemical hair straightening method.
- Ayurvedic Hair Straightening: It is the ancient method for straightening hair which holds immense importance in today’s world. It focuses on applying herbs like Bhringraj, Brahmi, Amla, Methi Seed, Shikakai, etc to provide the hair with essential nutrients which make our hair straight. It is considered the most reliable method of straightening hair.
What is Permanent Hair Straightening?
Permanent hair straightening is a chemical treatment for restructuring the arrangement of hair. In this method, the chemical structure of the hair is altered and then there is a mechanical locking of a new or desired structure to get straightened hair. The arrangement lasts for several washes or till new hair grows.
It must be noted that permanent hair straightening treatment may result in hair breakage as it configures the structure of the protein in the hair. Also, the hair may become very hard and may take a long time to dry as it damages the natural hair follicles. Since this treatment involves the use of strong chemicals, so it may cause other side effects like:
- Difficulty in respiration as well as breathing.
- Casual irritation to the nose as well as eyes.
- Skin irritation followed by skin redness.
- Increase in the risk of breast cancer.
Hair straightening tools help in providing a better shape to the hair. There are a large number of such tools which are available in the market to straighten your hair. Some of the basic tools are mentioned below:
Hairstyling Iron: It is a tool which has two flat metallic iron strip that temporarily straightens the hair by applying heat to the hair shaft. In brief, it changes the temporary arrangement of hair and gives a stylish look.
Hair Dryer: It is an electronic device that helps in the fast evaporation of water to dry the hair as well as shapes the layout by blowing hot air. It is a very convenient tool that provides an easy solution for straightening hair. Pick the correct hairdryer for you!
Curling Iron: Also known as hair tong, it is a metal device that helps in straightening hair by using heat also with rolling hairs to form curls. Additionally, it is used to warm the hair for easier styling as well as to create waves in both natural and synthetic wigs.
Hair Brush: It is a basic tool that helps in the structuring of hairs with the help of tiny teeth-like formations. It is one of the easiest tools that require minimum effort and save time. It is also be operated either mechanically or electronically. Find the best hairbrush for you here.
Hair Straightening Creams
Hair straightening creams are a fine alternative to get a straightening effect that looks natural as well as glossy. The best part of these creams is that they do not apply heat to the hair and have a lightweight composition which helps in the conditioning, smoothening, and relaxing of hair.
Additionally, these creams contain some ingredients like aloe vera, tea tree oil, almond extract, lavender, etc that make our hair thicker, stronger and luscious. Here are the top 5 hair straightening creams that can help you get your hair straightened:
Arata Natural Styling & Hold Hair Cream:
This cream helps to style and straighten the hair without making it look unnatural. It is enriched with the best organic flax and other vital ingredients like seeds and olive extracts. It can be applied on curly, fizzy, dry as well as straight hair. It helps in strengthening hair follicles without damaging the keratine. It is a cruelty-free product.
Indus Valley Deep Nourishing Hair Spa:
Indus Valley Deep Nourishing Hair Spa is a simple hair spa cream that is best suited for styling thin as well as damaged hair. It contains 12 different organic herbs and does not have any side effects. The herbs help in straightening hair follicles. The cream allows easy treatment of the hair with minimal damage to the scalp. Also, it is the best budget-friendly cream that is available in the Indian Market.
Bio Reach Hair Straightening Cream:
This cream is a one-stop solution for everyone who wants to get straightened hair for temporary needs. This cream gives a saloon-like finish to the hair in no time and also helps in fixing damaged hair. It can also be used to control fizzy hair.
Shills Professional Hair Straightening Cream:
Shills Professional Hair Straightening Cream is the cream that is best suited for coloured hair. It can also be used on all hair types as well. It helps in the easy straightening of dry as well as coloured hair with minimal damage. It consists of Keratin protein and collagen as its core ingredients.
Wondersoft Professional Hair Straightener Cream & Neutralizer:
This cream is created by using advanced technology to keep the hair hydrated as well as conditioned. It consists of natural ingredients like wheat protein, olive oil and pro keratin which allows you to straighten your hair without damaging the scalp as well as keratin protein. It can be applied on untamable as well as curly hair.
How to Get Straightened Hair at Home
Getting your hair straightened is not a difficult task when you have the right guide. There are various ways through which you can have straight hair. Here is a simple procedure to obtain straight hair with the help of a coconut milk mask.
- Gathering the ingredients: At first, you need to gather all the ingredients that are required for this procedure i.e. coconut milk, virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Creating the mixture: In a separate bowl, add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch (44.4 ml) with 4 tablespoons of lemon juice; and stir it until you get a smooth slurry. Now, pour the slurry into the coconut milk mixture over medium heat. Whisk the mixture constantly until it thickens. Remove the mixture from the heat when it reaches the consistency of a bottled conditioner and allow it to cool slightly.
- Distribute mask throughout the hair: Now apply the mixture on the hair uniformly by using a pastry brush or paintbrush.
- Cover the hair with a shower cap: Now, cover your hair with a shower cap. A plastic cap can also be used for the same purpose. The use of such caps helps in the retention of heat which allows the relaxing of curly hairs.
- Wash the hair with a gentle shampoo and warm water: Lastly, all you need is to wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and warm water followed by a deep conditioner. It must be noted that shampoo with heavy surfactants should be avoided as it would your hair’s cuticles rough. And now gently comb your hair after the wash.
There is a difference between coconut milk and coconut cream. Coconut milk is thinner in comparison to coconut cream, so make sure to purchase the right stuff!
The mixture will relax as well as loosen hair curls, but if you already have very curly hair then it may not work entirely. Moreover, the extra moisture provided by the mask will also help in the protection of hair if you use heat appliances.
Now you know that it is not very difficult to get your straight hair straight, all you need is the right guidance. It is very easy to have straight hair if you are aware of all the aspects concerning treatments, types, tools, creams, etc.
Read iDiva for the latest in Bollywood, fashion looks, beauty and lifestyle news.